Promotion of agriculture among the youth, both online and offline, remains a key focus at YPARD.
2016 was no exception especially given that YPARD was celebrating its 10 years anniversary. As a network, we not only celebrated our 10 years journey but went ahead to continue fulfilling our mandate of ensuring that young professionals realize their full potential and contribute proactively towards innovative agricultural development.
These achievements are well reflected in the YPARD 2016 annual report and among them include;
Youth in agriculture mentorship
Meaningful youth engagement in strategic ARD events
Contributions to discussions on curricula reforms in agricultural education
Strengthened governance of the YPARD teams
Capacity development for young professionals
A series of five international hangouts enabled national teams to learn and exchange with other teams on topics such as communications, team building, negotiations, fundraising and the next phase of the mentoring program.
In addition, national teams around the world organized capacity development opportunities to empower members on agripreneurship in the Democratic Republic of Congo; social media (ICT4AG) in Trinidad and Tobago; grant application writing in Nepal and communications and finance in Togo. Increasingly, our members apply the knowledge they have gained through YPARD opportunities to train their peers more notably in Nepal, Trinidad and Tobago and the Philippines. This is true impact of the network!
To sum up, here are some of the top 10 key achievements for YPARD for 2016
- Vibrant YPARD 10 year’s celebrations around the world (online and onsite)
- A new YPARD Mediterranean chapter
- New country brand pages on the YPARD website
- Youth capacity development opportunities organized by the national teams around the world
- Successful mentoring program pilot phase, incl. 4 models and local programs
- Research on “Youth in Drylands’ Systems” and its promotional campaign
- Young professionals contributions to discussions on curricula reforms in agriculture with multiple stakeholders
- Meaningful youth engagement at seven global events, including GCARD3, FAO, IFAD and Global Landscapes Forum 2016
- YPARD’s advisory role to global, regional and national organizations for stronger support to the youth
- Promotion of agriculture among youth through campaigns, events and various innovative media
Read further on the YPARD 2016 Annual Report to see the exciting initiatives taking place at local, national, regional and global level and what YPARD has accomplished in 2016.