We are delighted to welcome the new YPARD China country representative, Mr Zhong Li.
Mr Li received his master’s degree of International Trade and Investment Policy from Elliott School of International Affairs of George Washington University and dual bachelor’s degrees of Economics from University of Colorado Denver and China Agricultural University.
During his study, Mr Li worked closely with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on “The Spillover of Chinese Economic Slowdown on Latin American Countries” project (2017). His research on China Household Registration system (Hukou, 2014-2015) was presented in several international conferences in Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo, and Washington D.C., etc.
After graduation, Mr Li joined the Center for International Agricultural Research (CIAR) of Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (CAAS), where his main focuses are international agricultural cooperation and agricultural business. He has been working on several international cooperation projects with IFAD, FAO, IFPRI, ADB, etc. Mr Li participated and organized several seminars and workshops, including the “Agricultural Policy Training and Workshop for the ‘Belt and Road’ Countries,” “CICA Modern Agriculture and Agricultural Value Chain Development Training and Workshop.” Additionally, Mr Li has worked (as internee) at Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Eurasia Group, CITIC Securities, Essence Securities, China Minsheng Bank, etc. Other than his native language, Chinese, Mr Li speaks fluent English and conversational Korean and Spanish.
Mr Zhong Li has been working with Young Professionals for Agricultural Development (YPARD) since 2015. Mr Li has ambitious goals to gather more Chinese young professionals to build a stronger network in the agricultural sector. In fulfilling the China Representative position, he proposed five approaches to enhance the impact of YPARD in China which are:
- To establish the thesis scholarship program to sponsor college students for doing field research in agriculture-related topics.
- Formulation of a new division in YPARD China to expand the influence of YPARD China in early-age young professionals, especially for reforming the stereotype of agriculture for high school students.
- Enhance the stakeholder relationship with multiple sponsors and stakeholders. Based in the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, YPARD China can take advantage of the network of CAAS to extend the relationship with more partners both domestic and abroad. Working with the leading companies in China, such as Alibaba and Tencent, etc. is the next goal of YPARD China
- Based on previous work on building agricultural information exchange platform, YPARD China will continue working on this initiative to put it into practice. Chinese young professionals can retrieve scholarship information, job posts in the agricultural field from this website.
- Enhance the communication and cooperation between YPARD China and other YPARD Asia and Pacific country chapters. YPARD China should become a major platform for young Chinese professional in agricultural to “go global.” Thus, a major effort will be made to raise the public recognition of YPARD China in China and globally, as well as explore more opportunities for personnel exchange.
Mr Zhong Li believes that with the joint effort of all YPARDians in China, YPARD China will become a strong voice for youth in agriculture. With Zhong Li on Board, YPARD China will expect its new chapter, and it will surely become a great plus for YPARD Asia and Pacific and YPARD family in general. “I really appreciate Dr Bi Jieying, the YPARD Asia and Pacific Coordinator, as well as the whole team of YPARD China, for their strong support. We will continuously commit to advocate Chinese youth participation in agriculture and improve the presentation of YPARD in China.”
Welcome on board Zhong Li.
If you are from or based in China and would like to become involved in the YPARD China activities, please contact Zhong Li via email@example.com
Picture credit: Zhong Li