The International Bamboo and Rattan Organisation (INBAR) is a leading inter-governmental development organization committed to reducing poverty and protecting the environment through the use of bamboo and rattan. With headquarters in Beijing, China and offices in India, Ethiopia, Ghana and Ecuador, INBAR works with over 44 countries member countries worldwide (including 19 on the African continent) and has links with partners in over 50 international, regional, and national organizations.
INBAR is currently seeking a motivated intern/project assistant to support and facilitate the work of the “Inter-Africa Bamboo Smallholder Farmers Livelihood Development Programme”. Supported by the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD), the programme will be implemented in Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana and Madagascar, with links to China. The project goal is to enhance incomes, livelihoods and climate change adaptative capacities of African smallholder farmers, women and youth by upscaling and increasing their participation in climate-smart bamboo value chains. The project objectives are fourfold (i) Upscale and diversify existing target country bamboo value chains and promote industrialization, (ii) Facilitate restoration of degraded land, (iii) Integrate bamboo into country development plans, particularly for climate change, and (iv) enhance South-south cooperation with African and between African and China.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Support the preparatory works of the Inter-Africa Bamboo Smallholder Farmers Livelihood Development Programme (the project) including:
- Support the organization of inception workshop - help to organize local logistics for hosting a regional workshop, including checking the suitability of venues and local suppliers (catering, translation, printing), and making sure participants have invitations and are registered;
- In accordance with INBAR policy, support the procurement of tools and equipment for the execution of the project;
- Coordinate with executing agencies of the project to support the execution of project activities;
- Support the supervisor with the construction of Common Production and Training Centre - identification of suitable sites, site preparation construction and machine furnishing of the CPTC;
- Support the bamboo nurseries establishment - identification and preparation of nursery sites, purchase of seeds and planting material, training of farmers etc;
- Support the development of bamboo site-species matching guideline reports,
- Support the supervisor in the Establishment of communities of practice - INBAR taskforce on bamboo for energy and sustainable resource management;
- Liaison with public administrations including MINFOF, MINEPDED, MINADER, MINREX etc on work progress of the project;
- Prepare monthly financial and technical reapportion the work progress of the project;
- Other tasks as reasonably suggested by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, environmental governance or relevant field. A Master’s degree in Forestry/agriculture would be an advantage.
- Experience in Forestry/agriculture project implementation in Cameroon,
- Experience working with international organizations, NGO and non-profit organization is preferred,
- Ability to write technical and financial reports,
- Strong English skills (spoken and written) and working knowledge of French,
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel),
- Proactive worker and a quick learner,
- Ability to fit in and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic internal and external environment
Applications will be accepted until 15 December 2018. All applications will be acknowledged; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Send a cover letter with your CV/resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mark your email with the title “Apply for Intern/Project Assistant — NAME”.
Find original post at DevNet jobs website.