Association for European Life Science Universities (ICA) is organizing the ICA-Edu Colloquium 2017 which aims at delivering graduates to meet the challenges of the sustainable development goals (SDGs): embedding the development of ethical and sustainable values in the curriculum.
On September 25th 2015, the UN General Assembly adopted the Agenda for Sustainable Development - a set of goals to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. The achievement of these goals depends in part on the education of our graduates, who will become the leaders in addressing these challenges. We invite you to develop ideas for the enhancement or even the re-design of your teaching and your students learning. Our focus will be to consider how to embed ethical and sustainable values in the higher education curriculum in the life sciences. We invite you to share your views and experience and learn from others, whilst at the same time enjoying the increasingly popular capital Zagreb.
Date and Venue
The colloquium is held on 13-14 June 2017 at the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zagreb, Croatia.
The aim of the ICA-EDU Colloquium 2017 is centred on three themes:
- the challenge for life science universities in addressing the SDGs
- the teaching of ethics - core course and embedding throughout the curriculum
- the teaching of sustainable development – core course and embedding throughout the curriculum: environmental sustainability, economic sustainability and socio-political sustainability
Your experience in the integration of various methods in teaching will support our discussion. Of course if you and your students already have such experiences of embedding of ethical and sustainable values in your courses it will be great to share that experience in the Colloquium.
- Increased awareness of the need for the integration of sustainable development education in the curriculum.
- Definition of learning outcomes to be achieved by the learner in respect of sustainable development and ethical decision making
- Contribute to a dialogue about how skills, commitment and action competence for sustainable development can be developed among students.
- Identification of the staff development needs to support the teaching of sustainability and ethical values in the curriculum
- Based on the outcome of these discussions a summary of possible interventions to effectively embed ethical and sustainable values in our students learning will be prepared and circulate
Life sciences' academic staff, degree programme coordinators, students, academic administrators, and policy makers.
Call for contributions
ICA is calling for contributions to each of the sessions. You are invited to prepare one power point slide describing an intervention in your curriculum which supports the effective embedding of either ethical or sustainable values in your students learning.
We know that addressing one powerpoint slide will require a very focused presentation for 5 minutes. However, you will be able to follow up on your experience during the round table discussions.
You are also invited to preape a fuller description of your intervention in a text document for circulation and or as a poster. The text version can be dipalyed on the ICA website after the event.
Based on the outcome of these interventions and the roundtable discussions a summary of possible interventions to effectively embed ethical and sustainable values in our students learning will be prepared and circulated
Deadline for submission of your contribution is May 19th 2017.
Submit your contribution to: Simon Heath at ICASecretariat@ica-europe.org
Picture credit: Association for European Life Science Universities