The conference's theme
It is known worldwide that conservation and sustainable management of forests plays a pivotal role in the bio-based economy of present and future generations. It is for this reason that the achievement of an improved knowledge of how to adapt forest and forests landscapes to the challenges posed by climate and social changes must become the first goal for all researchers and stakeholder active in this important sector of any national economies.
For this purpose the IUFRO – International Union of Forest Research Organizations - has approved during 2015 the formation of a Task Force named "Forest Adaptation and Restoration under global change". Among other working plans for the period 2015-2017 a particular effort of this Task Force will be dedicated to a retrospective knowledge (gap) analysis regarding the forests spread over all the continents. For the coming 2017 the Task Force objective is to examine and discuss the situation of forests in the Mediterranean Region and this represents the main reason for organizing a Congress in Palermo (Italy) during the next April 2017. In order to better understand the best practices to be adopted it is extremely important to discuss comparatively the situation of the Mediterranean vegetation also in the context of other continents beside the Mediterranean Basin.
Thus, a joint Congress is to be held in Palermo on 19-21 April 2017. In keeping with the Congress title - Sustainable restoration of Mediterranean forests: analysis and perspective within the context of bio-based economy development under global changes – the Congress Scientific Committee (CSC) has selected four key themes which will guide the congress program:
- How climate change and its extreme events is affecting the Mediterranean Vegetation in general and forests in particular
- How new technological advancements will impact upon and will support the strategies to be implemented for leading to a sustainable forest management in Mediterranean Region
- How to interconnect stakeholders, economists, policy makers with forest and landscape scientists in order to form a network able to guarantee a full integration of national forest infrastructures within the context of worldwide strategies for a circular economy
- How the introduction of an Adaptive Measure (AM) approach could combine Adaptive Forest Management (AGM) with Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR)
Date and venue
The conference is held in Palermo from 19th to 21th Arpil, 2017.
In each session there will be Keynote Plenary Lectures followed by a number of invited lectures and a number of oral presentations selected among the posters sent by the participants. All abstracts will be published in the congress proceedings but a selection of oral presentations and posters will be transformed into full papers to be published in a special issue of IUFRO Publication Series. Moreover, because of Palermo latitudinal position in Sicily, the period of the year chosen for holding the congress is normally the best period of the year in terms of climate and vegetation life-time. Therefore we are sure that there will be outstanding social events, good opportunities to establish new collaborations among participants, and relaxed discussion in addition to a fabulous post-congress excursion.
All abstracts will be published in the Sustainable Restoration of Mediterranean Forests Congress Proceeding subject to the approval from the Scientific and Editorial Committee.
Deadline for submitting abstract: 15th February 2017.
- Authors need to be registered for the entire duration of the Congress to be able to submit an abstract. No more than one abstract for each registered author. Don’t forget the abstract submission deadline.
- Only abstracts submitted via the Congress Online Management System will be accepted and reviewed.
- Abstract must be written in English. During abstract submission, all authors will be able to candidate for an oral presentation.
- For each submitted abstract is guaranteed a poster slot, except if it is selected for an oral presentation.
- The acceptance of an abstract does not imply provision of travel, accommodation or registration for the congress, nor any other costs associated with preparation or presentation of the abstract, or any costs associated with attendance at the conference.
- You give us permission to publish your abstract on the Palermo Congress website and/or in hardcopy.
- You give us permission to film or photograph your presentation at the Congress and to publish such films or photographs on the Palermo Congress website with its associated social media and/or in hardcopy.
- It is the author's responsibility to submit a correct abstract. Any errors in spelling, grammar or scientific fact in the abstract text will be reproduced as typed by the author.
- Before submission, the submitting author ensures that all authors are included in the author list and agree with its order, and that they are aware the manuscript is to be submitted.
Registrations are now open. Find out registration instructions here.
Picture credit: Wikipedia