In September 2014 the International symposium on agroecology for food security and nutrition was held in FAO HQ, Rome (www.fao.org/3/a-i4327e.pdf). This has been followed in 2015 by three regional meetings in Latin America (www.fao.org/3/a-i5143e.pdf), sub-Saharan Africa and Asia and the Pacific (www.fao.org/3/a-i5672e.pdf).
In order to continue to develop this regional approach, from 23–25 November 2016 the regional symposium on title ‘agroecology for sustainable agriculture and food systems in Europe and Central Asia’ will be held. It will start with a field visit on 23 November afternoon and the internal CSO meeting, followed by a 2-day workshop on 24 and 25 November.
The workshop will have room for a maximum of 120 participants but web streaming will also be provided for interested individuals who are not able to attend.
FAO’s objectives of the workshop on agroecology in Europe and Central Asia:
• Facilitate exchanges on agroecology among different stakeholders to contribute to a better understanding and initiate partnerships;
• Show case existing practices, interventions and systems;
• Starting a synthesis about the agroecology approaches in Europe, in reference with the other three regions: Latin America, Asia & the Pacific and sub-Saharan Africa;
• At policy level: Identifying government initiatives and start to identify key entry points policies in national policies and in common European policies.
Special expectations of FAO linked with other meetings and the European and Central Asia context:
• Insisting on innovation and agroecology: research, technical innovation, economic and social innovation. An emphasis on research and technics will be important.
• Having private sector on board to better link with agroecological development.
The symposium will address topics related to:
• Agroecology overview in the region and challenges
• Agroecological design and transitions for sustainability and resilience
• Innovations and knowledge sharing (including poster presentations)
• Access and right to natural resources
• Valuing agroecology and sustainable food systems
• Transformative policies and processes
We welcome representatives from Academia, Governments, Civil Society Organizations, private sector, United Nations and International Organizations related to agroecology to participate in this symposium.
For further information on registration and other information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that there is limited space at the venue, after registration your application will be reviewed and we will inform you as soon as possible on your participation.
This event is organized and was first published by: FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia.