The Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL) is offering the position of a Plant Breeder located at FiBL Europe in Brussels, Belgium.
FiBL is the leading institute on organic agriculture, animal welfare and agroecology. Working on applied
research, innovative technologies, extension, training and information. With offices in Switzerland,
Germany, Austria and Hungary and have recently opened the doors of a new umbrella organisation
located in Brussels. For the new FiBL Europe Network Office, the five national FiBL in Switzerland,
Germany, Austria, France and Hungary (see www.fibl.org) seek a Plant Breeder. You will work in a small
team based in Brussels and advice and collaborate with institutional partners based on the extended
portfolio of scientific activities in organic agriculture and agroecology of 300 specialists at the national FiBL
- University degree, preferably related to agriculture, environmental or life sciences.
- Interest in Organic Agriculture. Knowledge of the sector is a plus.
- Academic and/or professional experience in plant breeding activities. Deep understanding of the different methods and practices use in the breeding sector. Knowledge about the animal breeding sector will be an asset.
- Extended knowledge in project management and scientific coordination.
- Excellent skills in networking, in running meetings, coordination and leading dialogs.
- Team-oriented and ambitious personality.
- Oral and written fluency in English; additional knowledge of German is desired.
- Knowledge and/or experience in the EU institutional system as well as from work in developing countries (Africa) will be an asset.
- Willingness to travel.
- Coordination of breeding activities for organic and agroecological farming systems and fund raising.
- Monitoring of political developments that impact the breeding and seeds sector.
- Networking on organic breeding among private and public breeders, policymakers, authorities, farmer associations, retailers and NGOs with a focus on plant breeding, potentially be extended to selected questions of livestock breeding.
- Elaboration of science-based policy studies, written and spoken presentations on organic breeding and related policy topics. Participation in scientific projects and activities related to organic breeding;
- Representing the organic breeding sector voice at both internal and external events and writing briefs for senior executives.
- An open-end employment (80 - 100%) based in Brussels, Belgium;
- An exciting opportunity for career development in an international working environment in the field of organic agriculture;
- Attractive contractual terms and remuneration packages.
For any queries please contact:
Miguel de Porras, Director of FiBL Europe, firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr. Monika Messmer
email@example.com, Theme Leader Plant Breeding and Seed Testing at FiBL CH.
Please submit your electronic application including motivation letter, CV and certificates until September,
2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.