The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is pleased to launch the Call for Applications for the 2017 edition of its Fellowship Program. The Call is open to participants between 25 to 35 years old, from the Middle East, North Africa, Europe and North America, with a strong interest in intercultural exchanges. The theme of the Fellowship 2017 being “The role of civil society and the media in combatting hatred and fostering inclusion”, candidates must also be able to present professional achievements in these fields.
The Call will lead to the selection of young civil society leaders and professionals from Europe, North-America (EUNA) on one end, and from the Middle East and North-Africa (MENA) on the other end. Participants from each geographic area will travel to their counterparts’ region.
The goal of the Fellowship is to provide participants with first hand exposure to cultural diversity, while interacting with a wide range of local actors and partners. In every country they visit, participants will acquire crucial comprehension tools to help them understand the plurality of their host country’s culture, politics, society, religion, and media.
Call for Applications to candidates from EUNA countries
1. Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- From the U.S., Canada, or a country member of the Council of Europe (plus Belarus)
- Born between January 1st 1982 and December 31st 1992
- Fluent in English
- Working directly with civil society and/or the media and able to present professional achievements in that field.
- In the possession of a passport valid at least 6 months beyond October 2017 (May 1st 2018 and beyond)
- Available to travel for a period of 18 days in October or November 2017 as scheduled by UNAOC. Final dates will be confirmed 4 weeks before departure.
- Must not have participated in any of UNAOC programs before.
If you meet all of the above-mentioned criteria, your application will then be evaluated as explained in the next section.
2. Evaluation and Selection
Candidates meeting all the eligibility criteria will have their application reviewed by a jury composed of UNAOC staff, experts working with civil society and the media, and other relevant partners.
The jury will be looking for candidates with strong interest in learning more about MENA countries and their cultures, while having little exposure to the region prior the trip. To be selected, participants should also have concrete ideas on how to engage with peers and partners from MENA countries.
The jury will also be assessing professional accomplishment in the fields of media and civil society, and will look for applicants with potential of shaping opinion and taking strong initiatives within their community.
The jury will also make sure that the final selection is:
- Gender balanced
- Region balanced with one participant from North America for two participants from Europe
- Limited to two participants per European country and to three participants per North American country
- Professionally balanced with no more than a third of participants working in the same sector or industry.
To preserve the above-mentioned balance and to ensure the quality and diversity of participants, the selection jury will select the next highest scoring candidate to replace the lowest scoring redundant candidate.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a short Skype or phone interview.
Please submit your complete application no later than Sunday May 21st 2017 at 11:59PM EST
- Only fill in the following application if you meet all the eligibility criteria mentioned above
- The application is to be completed in English only
- The application is to be completed truthfully and in its entirety
- Make sure to attach all the documents required
- Resume must be in English
- Do not attach anything else but the documents required
Only complete applications meeting the eligibility criteria and sent before the deadline will be considered.
Disclaimer: UNAOC reserves the right to not select any applicants, or to cancel the Fellowship Program for any reason. UNAOC accepts no liability for cancelling the Fellowship Program or for anyone’s failure to receive actual notification of cancellation.
Picture credit: United Nations Alliance of Civilizations