FAO RNE is hiring a Young Professional Officer (Digital Agriculture) under the Young Professionals Programme at the P-1 level
FAO's Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) is offering a position as Young Professional Officer, for a fixed term of 2 years, with possibility of extension. The clousure date is 12 November 2021, 5:59:00 PM.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to more efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, Better environment and Better life, leaving no one behind.
The Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with relevant Units at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation, and develops and maintains relations with regionwide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports knowledge exchange, capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Young Professional Officer reports to the Senior Officer responsible for digital transformation in the Near East and North Africa (NENA) region and in close coordination with the Innovation in Digital Agriculture team in FAO’s Office of Innovation (OIN).
The Young Professional Officer will support the Regional Digital Innovation Strategy in support to agri-food system transformation in the NENA region. S/he will get acquainted with the current status of digital agriculture in the NENA region and promote its use in projects and programmes across the region. The promotion, use and creation of digital agriculture solutions will be expanded significantly in the programmes of the NENA region.
Research, technical analysis and project related services to support the delivery of assigned projects, products and services.
• Analyses relevant technical social, economic, environmental, and technology information, data and/or statistics for input in various documents;
• Maintains records and updates databases and web pages;
• Provides technical support to various projects;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
• Participates in the organization and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Assists in the implementation of the Regional Digital Innovation Strategy, aiming at better-informed country planning through quality data; better informed digital support for food systems transformation; and inclusive digital agriculture ecosystems;
• Provides support for the implementation of the FAO Digital Village Initiative (DVI) in selected countries;
• Assists in the promotion of the FAO Digital Service Portfolio (DSP) mobile application for use in digital agriculture solutions; researches, analyses and promotes digital agriculture solutions that are provided by FAO;
• Assists in building awareness and capacity amongst staff at regional, subregional and country levels on data/digital agriculture and supports FAO project teams in the region on the use of digital agriculture solutions through workshops and virtual meetings;
• Assists in the development of concept notes, project documents, training tools and materials;
• Undertakes and supports monitoring and evaluation of implemented projects and activities; maintains records, updates databases (e.g. the digital knowledge repository and the FAO digital portfolio relevant for the NENA region); assists with the review of projects submitted to Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS) for countries in the NENA region and documents their digital components and IT investments in the FAO Digital Portfolio;
• Supports resource mobilization efforts for the implementation of the Digital Innovation Strategy and the scaling up of DVI projects in the NENA region;
• Performs other related duties as necessary.
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.